tuesday 21st January 2003
back to news section

Bracknell Manics Take Down Molly Millars 4 - 0

Into the New Year then, and the Manics looked for their first 3 points after their good spell before Christmas. This week the Manics came well prepared, which is less than can be said for Molly Millars who failed to set up on time, and incur a late kick off. Even though the Manics were missing their star Milner up front, the Manics were hungry for a game. Other players missing this week were Brian Judge, Chris Wilson and David Fenton.

Andrew Morten and Andy Impey were called up to the bench instead, and the team line out was James Robinson in goal, with the back four consisting of Luke Phillips, Tony Hemley, debutant Ryan Millward, and James Blackman. In midfield, Mark Eveleigh started on the right with Elliott Fairs and Gary Sarney in the middle, and David Comper on the left. Up front saw Glenn Evans and a recently 'on-form' Darren Dean.

Within ten minutes, the Manics were already down Molly Millars throats, and had three chances from corners, and a free kick on goal. Then Molly Millars had a player sent and they were down to 10 men. On the 15th minute, a James Blackman free kick followed a goal, but it was disallowed for a foul on the keeper by both Darren Dean and Gary Sarney, both swarming and knocking the ball into the net.

Molly Millars hadn't even seen the goal until now, the Manics had control of the game, and soon enough, David Comper would have the first real chance to score. A sweet chip over the defence from Gary Sarney, and then a looping cross from Darren Dean set up David Comper, who was unlucky to make good contact with the ball and hit it home with his left foot.

This gave the Manics a corner and their hard work finally paid off. Molly Millars poor clearance from the corner gave Luke a chance to score his first goal for the club. Luke's header was saved, but it didn't stop Darren Dean from putting another ball in the net to make it 1-0 after 15 minutes. Molly Millars tried to come back in the game, but their sloppy 'long ball' style of play was somewhat lacking a final ball. A slip up from Luke Phillips just 4 minutes after gave Molly Millars a chance to break down the wing but the shot went wide of the post for a goal kick.

A cheeky turn by Ryan Millward stunned the Molly Millars team next, showing to the player's and fans that Ryan could keep a cool head under pressure, and why Millward wants to be the next youth to break through to the 1st XI. Then Glenn Evans was hit hard, a silly challenge from the opposition, meant he'd play no part in the game, and Andrew Morten would come on. David Comper took on the role up front, and Morten filled the spot on the left wing. Gary Sarney was the next to receive a nasty challenge and a free kick was awarded outside the box. Gary Sarney shot - but it sailed just wide of the post over Darren Dean's head.

Manics came close with a few more chances for 10 minutes after, and still Molly Millars didn't look like scoring. On the 25th minute, Darren Dean scored the second. A long kick from James Robinson, bouncing through the midfield, and over the Molly Millar defence, put Darren Dean though on goal. A defender chased, but Darren shrugged him off, and despite a touch from the keeper, tucked it into the net to make it 2-0. David Comper had another chance to make it 3-0 just before half time, Tony Hemley battled hard to win a ball, then some nice passing play and a through ball from Gary Sarney to David Comper, who miss-hit the ball wide of goal. Then Andrew Morten had a chance to score his first goal for the club, but it went over the bar. All this time Ryan, and Tony cut out the dangerous long balls, and it could be said that even at half time, a win was never in doubt for the Manics.

Away went the second half, with the Manics working harder playing up the pitch. Molly Millars came back into the game, Gary Sarney saved a shot off the line, but the Manics kept their head and battled on looking for more goals. Possibly the miss of the season so far, 5 minutes into the second half, David Comper broke away, and put the ball through to Gary Sarney directly in front of the goal. The shot was saved first by the keeper, and then deflected by a defender at point blank range. But the fans and Gary Sarney couldn't believe he missed that chance to make it 3-0...

There was still more pressure from the Manics. But then a mix-up at the back between Luke and James Robinson saw a pass back at the manics goal. This gave Molly Millars a chance to get a goal back, but the freekick on goal flew over the bar. Thirty minutes of near chances went by, and then Darren Dean tried a crafty lob, only to see it miss by inches. But two minutes after Darren found the net and made his hatrick for the game. Mark Eveleigh put in a good throw, straight to Darren to strike it on the half-volley and make it 3-0. Soon after debutant Ryan Millward scored his first goal for the club - the shot took 3 deflections after Ryan took on two players and drilled the ball into the net from outside the box.

Now 4-0, Molly Millars took the law into their own hands and the player manager for Molly Millars was the second player to walk, after another shocking challenge on Gary Sarney. Tony had a free header, but failed to hit the target from a corner, and James Robinson made a great save near the end to keep his first clean sheet of the season. The final result was 4-0 to the Manics who came away with a much-deserved win.

Thanks to all the fans who came to watch the match.

 Final Result: Bracknell Manics 4 Molly Millars 0

 Man of the Match
 "Dedicated to my good looking team!"

"Proud to be a Manic..."
Darren Dean  

 Ryan Millward

 Next Week's Match: Bracknell Manics vs Birch Wanderers
 Ground: Great Hollands Creamatorium (pitch2)

Official Sponsor for Bracknell Manics FC