Tuesday 01st April 2003
back to news section

Manics Beat Syngenta and Advance to Final!

This week would be another test in the history for the Manics. They'd done so well to reach the semi finals of the Gowrings Cup, but could they make the final push to make it to the final of the competition and beat Syngenta?

The only change in the line up this week would be two in the defence. Joel Curran went straight in at left back, and Ryan Millward was starting in the centre with Tony Hemley. On the bench would be Andy Impey, Brian Judge, Mark Eveleigh, James Blackman, and the 'super sub' Chris Wilson was also called upon...

The Manics kicked off and went straight for the kill from the start, after a minute Glenn Evans's deflection off his knee was already close to going in after a nice cross from Elliott Fairs. It didn't stop there and just 2 minutes later the Manics had another chance, but Milner was off target. Syngenta replied minutes later, some nice passing and a low cross to the striker, who couldn't control the ball.

On 5 minutes Milner flicked a long throw on from Curran, and Sarney tried an ambitious overhead kick but failed to make good contact and hit the ball over the bar. On the 16th minute Bracknell Manics scored the first.

James Robinson took a goal kick, Evans picked up the loose ball in the Syngenta half and passed to Milner who turned the defender and shot from way out. The keeper had no chance and it was 1-0. The next 20 minutes was closely fought, but the Manics were attacking well and hungry for another goal.

On the 34th minute, Syngenta won a free kick just outside the box after Millward fouled a Syngenta player. Robinson screamed at the wall until they moved, and he was right to shout, the ball hit aimlessly into the wall before it was cleared for a corner by Goddard. When the corner came in there was headed wide of goal.

Bracknell Manics had a free kick on the 38th minute, Curran took but the cross was headed into the air and then into the keeper's hands. Minutes later and Syngenta won a free kick; this time Goddard was the culprit. Syngenta crossed, but the header was well off target and out for a goal kick.

Soon after Milner had a shot after a high pass in the air. Milner did well to hold up the ball and shrug off the defender, but the keeper saved the shot. Just at the end of the first half, Syngenta put the pressure on with two consecutive corners, but the Manics held together well and cleared the ball from danger, before another long throw was caught well by Robinson.

The whistle went and the score at the end of the first half was 1-0 to the Manics.

Only six minutes had passed before the second goal came for the Manics. Goddard put pressure on the wing chasing the Syngenta player out for a throw. Luke Phillips won a loose ball and passed to Goddard who took the ball down well before putting Evans through on goal. Evans ran on and put the ball into the net to make it two for the Manics.
But then, on the 14th minute, Syngenta got a goal back. After working the ball down the line with a series of throws, Luke Phillips lost his man and a cross was put into the box. The Syngenta player did well and headed the ball past Robinson and into the net.

On the 25th minute David Comper shot after Milner laid the ball back to him. Comper's shot went wide, though and the Manics would have start again. The game began to become an end-to-end battle as both teams raised their game and going for a goal.

A substitute was made on the 30th minute. Luke Phillips came off, and Mark Eveleigh came on up front and Evans was pulled back into the defence. David Comper had a run later, which saw him weave in and out of the Syngenta defence before taking a shot on goal. The ball went over for a goal kick though.

Then Syngenta got an equaliser through a throw and a flick on, and it looked like the game could suddenly tip the scales for the Manics.

2 minutes later and Milner had a chance to seal it for the Manics when a break away from Comper sent a long ball to Milner. Milner beat the keeper, but just didn't have the legs, even at full stretch Milner was unable to put it in the net.

The Manics soaked up more pressure soon after and then found themselves on another counter attack on goal. Sarney picked up a ball on the break and put Milner through again. Milner chipped the ball over the keeper but it bounced across the face of the goal.

On the 42nd minute, Joel Curran made it all happen for the Manics. Comper made a run in on goal, cutting inside and shooting on goal. The shot was saved by the keeper and then came back out to Curran who hit on the volley and into the net to make it 3-2 to the Manics. The fans went wild and Curran was happy to score a vital goal for the club.

When the final whistle blew it would be the Manics who'd be in the final.

We're in the final now, with everything to play for in the next cup game!

We broke a record with a number of fans this week, a new club record of 53 fans for a game. We'd like to thank those fans for their support, and it was good to see a few old faces again!

 Final Result: Bracknell Manics 3 Syngenta 2

 Man of the Match
   "Jimbo owes me a pint!"
Joel Curran  

 Next Week's Match: Syngenta vs Bracknell Manics
 Ground: Jeallotts Hill

Official Sponsor for Bracknell Manics FC