thursday 17th April 2003
back to news section

Midweek Mayhem with South Ascot

South Ascot would travel to the Crem this week, in the second midweek game for the Manics...

Tony Hemley was injured, so Ryan Millward would fill his place. David Fenton would play alongside Ryan, with James Blackman on the left and Luke Phillips back in on the right. The remainder of the team stayed the same as Tuesday's game.

South Ascot had already had their problems, struggling to get a full team out for kick off. So it would be 9 vs 11 at kick off. The Manics, even though they weren't playing the greatest standard of football, still created chances...

On the 5th minute, the Manics had two consecutive attempts on goal, but the keeper saved both.

On the 10th minute, South Ascot looked like they might take full advantage of the poor Manics start, when their striker had an easy tap in - lucky for the Manics, this attempt went high over the bar. The Manics were quiet, and asleep, and struggling to get a their feet into the game.

5 Minutes later, Luke Phillips denied South Ascot again with a headed clearance off the line.

But that still wasn't enough to get the Manics into gear, and on the 20th minute, Paul Milner and another South Ascot player's frustration kicked in. A mix -up and a sloppy challenge, and soon these two had to be pulled apart. Glenn Evans broke the pair up whilst Milner needed an extra player, David Fenton to pull him away. Both players received a yellow card for their actions.

Then on the 20th minute, another card was shown for a handball by South Ascots keeper; this time it was red. A long ball by James Blackman sent Evans after a 50/50 ball with the keeper. The keeper palmed the ball away from Evans, and after a pause for thought, reached for the red card.

Aaron Goddard stepped up to take the free kick, but the player, now new keeper saved the shot.

The second half began and two substitutes had been made. The first was David Fenton who came on to be replaced by Brian Judge, and the second substitute would be Mark Robertson. Luke Phillips came off, Glenn Evans took his slot, and Mark would play up front with Milner.

Within two minutes of the second half, Sarney's shot was unlucky to go wide after a string of passes.

The Manics began to settle into the game, and it wasn't long before Sarney scored. Some good passing play, which sent Mark Robertson off down the wing. Robertson put in a low cross which was cleared only as far as Sarney who controlled the ball and then hit home to make it 1-0.

On the 9th minute, Bracknell Manics made it 2-0. Passing the ball from the back, a one-two with Gary Sarney sent Comper off down the wing, who put in a low cross to Robertson, unmarked to slide the ball into the net.

Milner had a chance to make it 3 two minutes later, in acres of space, Milner hit this one over the bar.

The Manics started to find their feet, settle down and create chances on goal. Sarney, Evans, Milner, and David Comper all were coming close.

On the 28th minute, South Ascot's keeper made a brilliant save to deny Robertson his second goal. Evans played a lofted cross to Robertson, who turned and shot from a tight angle. The keeper saved the ball at full stretch, pushing it wide for a corner.

2 minutes later Robertson scored his second. Picking up a loose ball in the South Ascot box, Robertson took the ball away from danger, then turned to face goal and curled his shot into the top right corner of the goal.

A substitution followed, as an unhappy Aaron Goddard came off to be replaced with Alan Morris from the bench.

2 minutes later, and South Ascot hit the cross after the ball wasn't cleared quickly enough, then on a counter attack, Brian Judge who marched the ball up the pitch tried an ambitious 30 yard shot, just over the bar.

Alan Morris found space for a shot after a nice run through the defence. Morris took on three defenders, before putting the shot over the bar.

The final score was 3-0 to the Manics.

Dont miss Tuesday's game against Dog & Duck, both teams will be up for this game as preperation for the final of the Gowrings Cup!

Thanks for the huge support in this weeks game against South Ascot. This week Mark Robertson was voted Man of the Match.

 Final Result: Bracknell Manics 3 South Ascot 0

 Man of the Match
   "You should see me in a full 90 minute game!"
Mark Robertson  

 Next Match: Bracknell Manics vs Dog & Duck Embrook
 Date: 22/04/2003
Ground: HOME at Great Hollands Crem, pitch 2

Official Sponsor for Bracknell Manics FC