Sunday 17th October 2004
back to news section

Unbeaten Manics Run Ends As Dogs Run Riot

There was a lot to be done this weekend as the clash with rivals got underway in the 2004-2005 season, and Dog were out for revenge after losing the title last season in the Manics final league match to make them 2003-2004 league champions.

James Robinson


Simon Blay

Mark Gates

Tony Hemley

James Blackman

David Comper

Gary Sarney

Aaron Goddard

Joel Curran

Mark Robertson

Gareth Jones

Bench: O'Connell, Judge, Wilson, Dennaford, Fairs

Both teams went off to a great start; Dog would be first to score - none other than Paul Milner, ex-manic who celebrated scoring against his former club. The fans couldn't believe seeing their former striker hit the shot, and could only watch as the ball ricochet off the post into the goal. It was 1-0 Dog & Duck, and Manics knew this wasn't going to be as easy as it had in previous years.

Manics put the pressure back on, a few good chances were stopped by Dog's persistent back line.

Dog would be the first to make a substitution, poor Scott Smith after shaking an injury took a knock and would have to be replaced. Manics would like to wish Scott Smith good luck with his injury for this season.

Jon Austin made it 2-0 for the Dog & Duck, and it was looking bad for the Manics. Luckily though, Manics got back into the game quickly to make it 2-1 when Mark Robertson did well to cross the ball to Jones to tap-in in front of goal.

In the second half, Manics seemed under pressure when a free kick was awarded outside the box. Well-struck Robinson had no chance and now the Manics were 3-1 down...

But Manics soaked up the pressure and were able to turn it around on the Dog to make it 3-2 when a Joel Curran corner was headed home by Mark Robertson.

Manics made a selection of subs, Barry O'Connell would replace Gareth Jones upfront, with a shuffle in midfield; James Blackman and Tony Hemley would leave to be replaced with Elliott Fairs and Brian Judge.

Dog fought back, and Milner missed a great one-on-one with Robinson that would have surely ended the game, but Milner hit over the bar, to Manics relief.

The day went from bad to worse for Manics as Mark Gates got himself in all kinds of trouble, although a fair challenge, winning the ball, Gates was pulled up for a yellow card - the referee considered it dangerous, and for the chit chat with another Dog & Duck player. Gates couldn't let it rest and minutes later was awarded his second and marching orders from the referee for further verbal.

Minutes remained on the clock, and there was little that could be done, Manics were pinned back, and couldn't stop the final goal from Dog & Duck to make the final score 4-2.

Thanks to the fans who came to watch the game!

The Manics Man of the Match went to Mark Robertson.

 Final Result: Bracknell Manics 2 Dog & Duck 4

 Man of the Match
   "Go on you Manics"
Mark Robertson  

Official Sponsor for Bracknell Manics FC