Sunday 16th January 2005
back to news section

O'Connell Back to Haunt Dog & Duck

James Robinson


Simon Blay

Tony Hemley

Mark Gates

Joel Curran

Gareth Jones

Gary Sarney

Aaron Goddard

David Comper

Mark Robertson

Barry O'Connell

Bench: Fairs, Blackman, Dennaford, Patsalides

It was an excellent all round team performance this weekend from Bracknell Manics. Dog and Duck put on a good performance nevertheless but were unlucky to take their chances in front of goal, missing some key players.

Manics were in good form and went 1-0 up after just 7 minutes of play when a poor keeper clearance was cut out by
Mark Robertson for him to lob the keeper, who on his back feet, just got a touch but couldn't get hold of the ball which slipped past him into the net.

Gareth Jones did the damage just before the break when Robertson did well to beat his defender and cut into the 6-yard box before laying the ball to Jones to slide into goal making it 2-0.

In the second half, it was a totally different game for the first 15 minutes of play as Dog came out fighting, just as expected they would. Soon their goal was scored for their hard work in front of goal, a corner was curled into the box that took a deflection off of Gary Sarney's head and into the goal to make it 2-1.

But just just when it looked like it would get tough, two minutes later dangerman
Barry O'Connell opened his account of the day and gave the Manics a sigh of relief after David Comper did well to put him through to score.

Three minutes had only passed and yet again
O'Connell scored his second of the game. This time Aaron Goddard battled the midfield and set O'Connell on his way to well executed, lofted chip over the Dog's keeper to make it 4-1.

Dog & Duck seemed in disarray, but attacked regardless, creating chances, but they couldn't put them away. Meanwhile, the back four fought relentlessly to win the ball. On one occassion, it has to be noted James Robinson made a spectacular save to keep the Manics ahead with a fine acrobatic display to palm the ball over the bar from a long range effort from the Dog & Duck.

Gareth Jones took his second goal well to make it 5-1 when Manics counter-attacked. Simon Blay played a long ball to Gareth Jones to run onto and up the wing to slot it home.

Subsequently, Manics made two substitutions. James Blackman came on to replace Joel Curran at left back, whilst Steve Dennaford would change with Mark Robertson up front.

It would turn out the new pair would play the part in the next Manics goal. James Blackman won the ball at the back, and like we've seen him do in the past so often, played the ball to
Steve Dennaford 20 odd yards to feet, for Dennaford to calmy slot home making it 6-1.

With 10 minutes remaining, Manics made their final change. Aaron Goddard would be replaced by Elliott Fairs, and within minutes
Elliott Fairs was to the right of an unselfish Barry O'Connell who laid the ball off to Fairs to score making the final score 7-1 to the Manics.

Thanks to the fans again for another great turnout this week!

The Manics Man of the Match went to Barry O'Connell & the Referee's Man of the Match went to Aaron Goddard.

 Final Result: Dog& Duck 1 Bracknell Manics 7

 Man of the Match
   "Henry the kebab man's got massive hands"
Barry O'Connell  

Official Sponsor for Bracknell Manics FC