Sunday 06th February 2005
back to news section

Gareth Jones Hatrick of Assists Provides Manics 3 Points

James Robinson


Simon Blay

Tony Hemley

Mark Gates

Joel Curran

Gareth Jones

Aaron Goddard

Elliott Fairs

David Comper

Gary Sarney

Barry O'Connell

Bench: Roake, Leakey, Evans, Blackman

Bracknell Manics FC faced the Silver Birch Wanderers in a hope to keep up their lead top of the league in Division One this weekend.

It wasnt long before Manics took the lead; stand-in striker,
Gary Sarney put the Manics 1-0 up after 12 minutes. Simon Blay won the ball and pumped it forward for Aaron Goaddard to head down into Sarney's path and slot it into the net

On the 25th minute
Sarney scored the second, Gareth Jones played the ball into the box, and Gary Sarney was in the right place at the right time to beat the Birch keeper and make it 2-0.

In the second half, Manics came out guns blazing it soon enough the third goal came.
Barry O'Connell was the player to increase the lead after just 7 minutes in the second after a well timed ball by Jones. O'Connell lobbed the Birch keeper with his left foot, making it look easy.

Minutes later and the fourth goal follwed. Bracknell Manics won a corner at the Birch end, and players moved upfield to push for another goal. Joel Currans corner wasnt cleared and the ball fell to Tony Hemley who laid the ball off to
Mark Gates to hit it into the top corner of the net.

Changes were made soon after; Gary Sarney and David Comper came off to be replaced by Steve Leakey and Tim Roake. Gareth Jones switched to the left for Roake to fill the position on the right.

Barry O'Connell scored his second of the game, Jones again providing the assist sending O'Connell through on goal, shrugging off the defender, O'Connell broke through with a 1-on-1 on goal with the Birch keeper, and O'Connell just like before, stayed composed and lobbed him with his right foot.

Bracknell Manics made a their final swap with 10 minutes remaining, as Glenn Evans came back into the frame to a round of applause from the side in a straight swap with Simon Blay.

Birch continued to push and got two goals back. The first a keeper error, when Robinson failed to catch a high ball which slipped through his fingers and into the net. The other goal saw Birch play some good football after a Hemley back heel was intercepted and a nice finish from the Birch forward to make the final score 5-2 to the Manics.

Thanks to the fans for coming to watch this weekend!

The Manics Man of the Match went to Gareth Jones & the Referee's Man of the Match went to Mark Gates.

 Final Result: Bracknell Manics 5 Birch Wanderers 2

 Man of the Match
   "Go on you Manics!"
Gareth Jones  

Official Sponsor for Bracknell Manics FC