Sunday 20th February 2005
back to news section

Who Wants To Pinch A Finch - Manics Do!

James Robinson


Simon Blay

Tony Hemley

Mark Gates

Joel Curran

Gareth Jones

Gary Sarney

Elliott Fairs

David Comper

Mark Robertson

Barry O'Connell

Bench: Evans, Leakey, Rain

Manics took on a highly respected, young Finch side this weekend in an all-important game to earn a full 6 points for the division title. Before the match, both sides observed a minutes silence for Sunninghill Jaguars manager, Brian Watt who tragically died last weekend.

Both teams showed their capability from the start. Whilst Finchampsted showed their talent, fitness and skill on the ball, Manics fought back with aggression, determination and some great passing moves.

Manics would be first to score after 30 minutes of play,
Barry O'Connell came from behind the Finch defence to connect to a Gary Sarney square ball and make it 1-0. Credit has to be awarded to David Comper for the goal, who showed some good pace down the wing and a piece of fine dribbling to release Sarney with the ball

Finch had a chance to get back into the game with a late equaliser, but Tony Hemley had the pace to keep up and make things hard for the Finch whippet up front and the ball was hit way over the bar.

In the second half Manics team spirit showed as a huddle of players joined together before the whistle to gear eachother up for the next 45 minutes. Manic's had already looked threatening from corners in the first half, and when a corner was won by the Manics at the Finch end, a second goal looked promising. Joel Curran delivered the corner, Mark Robertson headed the ball towards the goal, resulting in a goal-mouth scramble with
Tony Hemley in the thick of it. Hemley, remained a rock and scooped the ball into the net for a 2-0 lead.

Manics made two changes - Joel Curran came off to be replaced by Glenn Evans and Mark Robertson would come off in a straight swap with Steve Leakey.

On the 72nd minute, the ball was played long by the finch from the left of the pitch, only to be cut out by
Simon Blay. A short run brought him into the Finches half where the ball was played to Steve Leakey in a central position, who passed to O'Connell. Blay continued his blistering run down the right wing, and screaming for the ball collected it back from O’Connell. On his own and with no sign of support, Blay delivered a fizzing, looping shot over the keeper nestling in the side netting. Blay continued to celebrate in style, picking out his father from the crowd, and jumping into his open arms, for one of the best celebrated goals this season.

Blay was soon substituted, a little out of steam this gave Matt Rain another chance to show his worth in the center of midfield, with Elliott Fairs moving to the right back position.

Finchampstead were able to scrape a late goal back when a slack pass was intercepted. Robinson pulled out a first save but the ball fell to another Finch player who finally scored their consolation goal, leaving the final score 3-1 to the Manics.

Great support from the fans this weekend - glad you all enjoyed the match!

The Manics Man of the Match went to Gary Sarney & the Referee's Man of the Match went to Elliott Fairs.

 Final Result: Bracknell Manics 3 Finchampstead Res 1

 Man of the Match
   "Great bouncebackability after last week lads."
Gary Sarney  

Official Sponsor for Bracknell Manics FC