sunday 16th October 2005
back to news section

Tell someone about this news

Daylight Robbery As Saracens Nick Points

This week saw again players missing, but Manics borrowed the cup tied players from the reserves for their league match-up against Saracens.

Both sides started positively, after 15 minutes David Fenton hit the crossbar from a free kick, whilst at the other end, minutes later Gary Sarney made a goal line clearance to keep Manics in the game.

Alan Matthias was first to have a real opportunity to score. Breaking down the right side, Matthias beat the defender for pace, cutting inside his shot after all the hard work went straight to the keepers hands.

Bracknell Manics FC are more intent in getting yellow cards than goals this season it appears, first Glenn Evans was shown a yellow, then minutes Elliott Fairs also recieved a booking for a two foot challenge.

Manics looked like they had taken the lead when Gary Sarney tucked the ball home in front of goal, only to have it disallowed for a hand ball decision by the linesman.

Then just four minutes later, Saracens took the lead through a corner, and a well taken header at the Manics end to make it 1-0.

But Manics leveled less than a minute later - exactly the same way. Evan's corner was swung in and Gareth Jones headed home making it one a piece.

Saracens had gone to sleep, minutes later and just before the break, Gary Sarney fed Matthias a lovely through ball and Matthias calmly tapped the ball through the keepers legs and take Manics ahead by a goal at the break.

In the second, Manics faced a highly spirited Saracens side, who equalised early on; with a brilliant, yet crafty lob over poor Robinson. David Fenton then received another yellow card for tripping up his opposition, quite needless to say the least.

Saracens then took the lead from another corner. Unmarked, Saracens free header was easily put away, leaving James Robinson nothing to do than screech at the top of his voice at his annoyance with how the game appeared to be going.

Manics made a few changes, first Aaron Goddard came off with injury to be replaced by Simon Blay in midfield and Ryan Warman replaced Gavin Baker for the first time on the left.

Robinson made a great save tipping the ball over the bar as Saracens shot from long range.

Manics were still struggling with their final balls, and Saracens gave the Manics forwards nothing at the back, all at the same time, Manics newly adopted long ball style of play was played to the death with no results.

Manics made another change; Gary Sarney swapped places with a hopefully hungry Barry O'Connell.

With 25 minutes remaining, O'Connell made a break down the right and his shot rebounded off the post and back out only as far as David Fenton to score his first for the club this season.

2 minutes later and Ryan Warman's shot hit the side netting, but disaster struck when Mark Gates made two saves off the line at the other end but could not make the third as Saracens hammered the ball past Robinson and into the net.

Downhearted, Manics tried their best to keep up the momentum of the game, but frusrtation was at boiling point as another Manics goal, and potentially 'point deserving' goal was ruled offside by the linesman. The full time whistle blew leaving the score 3-4, and nill points for the Manics.

Scorers: Jones (1) Matthias (1) Fenton (1).
Assists: Evans (1) Sarney (1) O'Connell (1).

The Manics Man of the Match and the Referee's player of the matchwent to Reserves player Alan Matthias.

Thanks to the fans who came to watch the game!
 Final Result: Saracens 4 Bracknell Manics 3

 Man of the Match
   "ROBBED!!! But cheers for the run out 1st team"
Alan Matthias  

The Golden Farmer - Sponsoring BMFCAdvantage Copying Services Ltd - Sponsoring BMFC
Official Sponsors for Bracknell Manics FC