sunday 23rd October 2005
back to news section

Tell someone about this news

A Chance of Redemption for Manics

A near full strength Manics side faced Bracknell Strikers this weekend, both aiming to pick up on recent form and go for three points.

Manics could have conceded early on; after 3 minutes play, David Fenton made a great challenge to keep the score 0-0 closing Strikers forward before he could shoot. Strikers corner was a goal mouth scramble, eventually to the relief of the Manics fans, Elliott Fairs cleared the ball from danger.

Bracknell Manics soon received their first yellow card. This week Aaron Goddard was booked in retaliation after he thought he was pushed first, flying in soon after as the referee waved play on.

Next, Goddard had a chance to score. Gareth Jones crossed a good ball into the box from the right wing towards Goddard for a free header. Goddard was unlucky, connecting badly for the Strikers keeper to collect with ease.

Manics then found themselves under pressure again for the second time - another corner, and another goal mouth scramble. But a swift counter attack, first a clearance by Glenn Evans and then some nice passing play, ended up with Jones playing Alan Matthias through on goal. Matthias took a touch, composed himself beating the defender and then tucking the ball away to make it 1-0.

10 minutes later, Gary Sarney shot over the bar after Matthias made a good run down the left, and Ryan Warman added pressure when his 20 yard shot was just off target.

In the second, Manics conceded from what was a very sloppy goal. Poor marking again for the third week running, saw the ball bounce awkwardly in the box, before an unmarked Strikers player got a touch and fumbled the ball over the line.

Strikers really picked up on their game, and Manics were forced to defend for the next 10 before changes were made. Gareth Jones and Alan Matthias would come off to be replaced last season's striking pair, Barry O'Connell and Mark Robertson together again for the first time this season.

Manics turned the game around, after another 5 minutes hard battling. Mark Robertson took the Manics ahead, heading the ball over the line from Barry O'Connell's first header towards goal.

Strikers went to sleep conceding two more. O'Connell's unselfish play to Gary Sarney made it 3-1 and then O'Connell's 1-on-1 made it 4-1, Gavin Baker assisting the final goal.

Scorers: Matthias (1) Robertson (1) Sarney (1) O'Connell (1).
Assists: Jones (1) O'Connell (1) Sarney (1) Baker (1).

The Manics Man of the Match went to Glenn Evans and the Referee's player of the match went to Mark Gates.

Well done to the fans for the support this week!
 Final Result: Bracknell Strikers 1 Bracknell Manics 4

 Man of the Match
   "Everyone deserved man of the match, great team performance, who the f*ck is 'Chief' ?!?"
Glenn Evans  

The Golden Farmer - Sponsoring BMFCAdvantage Copying Services Ltd - Sponsoring BMFC
Official Sponsors for Bracknell Manics FC