sunday 08th January 2006
back to news section

Tell someone about this news

Golden Boy Blay gives Manics A Lesson In How To Finish

Bracknell Manics looked to start the New Year with flying colours this week. Manics would change to their alternative, bright yellow shirts for the game, missing now retired Elliott Fairs, and Barry O’Connell (away) as well as Steve Dennaford.

Manics had their first booking after only 5 minutes when Glenn Evans was booked for dissent towards the referee's assistant after Ryan Warman was flagged offside.

2 minutes later Mark Robertson was brought down outside the box to win a free kick for the Manics. A clever run over from Glenn Evans hoped to open up a gap for Ryan Warman to strike but the ball struck against wall, falling to Gary Sarney in an offside position. Strikers replied soon after but the final shot wasn't up to scratch, Robinson saving the ball safely in his hands.

On the 11th minute, Robertson’s first chance on goal was of target, after he turned his man and cut in on the right flank. 3 minutes later and Warman was pulled down on the edge of box to win a free kick. Chef laid the ball off to David Fenton whose shot was blocked, and then cleared.

It looked as though Manics would take the lead on the 18th minute when an Evans corner was well delivered into the box. Mark Gates headed but the ball was cleared by the Strikers defender on the line. On the 25th minute, Warman got himself into a great position to score, latching onto a long ball from Fenton. Warman did the hard work, beating the keeper, but drifting too far wide and with an open goal, missing the target to keep the score 0-0.

Manics missed another chance on the 35th minute. Jones broke down the right wing cutting inside and crossing the ball low across the face of the goal, but just to far ahead of Sarney and Warman to reach and tap in. Four minutes later and Mark Gates’ long ball to Gareth Jones, unmarked ran down on the keeper, taking him on and beating him before striking on target to finally make it 1-0 Manics.

Manics began to up the ante even more, but still struggled to finish. A minute later Robertson's lob was of target and then two minutes after that, Warman’s long shot was drilled high over bar to end the first half 1-0.

In the second, nothing seemed to change as after the 52nd minute, Manics missed another good chance to take the lead, a low cross again beating the defenders, and Mark Robertson's cocky back heel just stopped on the line from the Strikers keeper.

On the 58th minute a back pass to Strikers keeper was whistled for an indirect free kick inside the box 10 yards from the goal. Warman took but his shot rattled into the side netting and out for a goal kick. 3 minutes later, a long ball from Baker was passed to Jones who’s ambitious long range shot was hit just off target.

Manics continued to pressure the ball, and a minute later Sarney did well in an individual effort to turn his defender and shoot only to hit the post. More pressure followed with Bakers shot also saved by the keeper. On the 65th minute Robertson with too much time on the ball in a 1-on-1, couldn’t beat the Strikers keeper before the shot was cleared from danger.

3 minutes later and Strikers began to find their second wind. First a fine save from Robinson kept the Manics ahead. A minute later Manics conceded their first corner. The ball was delivered well into the box, but headed over the bar.

Manics replied with another piece of pressure without the final goal. Robertson had a chance to score thanks to Jones - or lay the ball off, but making bad contact with the ball, missed the target to keep it 1-0.

After 75 minutes, Manics were beginning to wonder when they would extend their lead. Manics were getting caught playing with the ball at the back, and were throwing away and rushing every chance they seemed to have on goal. Baker and Jones swapped wings, in a desperate attempt to cut inside and score.

Manics conceded another corner as Strikers picked up the tempo. Another well delivered ball, this time falling to the Strikers no. 9 who made good connection with the ball, struck on target, but Gates took the bullet to deny the goal. Manics countered, but Aaron Goddard’s lobbed shot from 35 yards sailed over the bar.

Minutes later Manics make their first sub. Baker was replaced by Tim Roake and Warman swapped with Jones up front. 2 minutes after, Simon Blay had seemed to go awol, pushing up the field screaming for the ball. Robertson delivered a low ball into the box and Blay showed the strikers how to do it with his first chance of the game, sliding in and striking the ball into the net to make it 2-0.

Manics had more chances for the remainder of the game, Warman & Robertson missing 2 more chances each, with Sarney having the final shot of the game wide of goal and Manics boss Nikos Patsalides left wondering how there should have been more goals taken advantage of in this weeks game..

Scorers: Jones (1) Blay (1).
Assists: Gates (1) Robertson (1).

The Manics Man of the Match went to Aaron Goddard and the Referee's player of the match went to Mark Gates!

Happy New Year to all our fans, thanks for coming to watch this week!

 Final Result: Bracknell Manics 2 Bracknell Strikers 0

 Man of the Match
   "Only Pussys Puke"
Aaron Goddard  

The Golden Farmer - Sponsoring BMFCAdvantage Copying Services Ltd - Sponsoring BMFC
Official Sponsors for Bracknell Manics FC