Sunday 26th February 2006
back to news section

Tell someone about this news

Manics In Dreamland As Rovers Are Sunk

Bracknell Manics had another different side out again this week.

The club continues to change every week and this weekend Jason Graaff made his debut alongside Mark Gates at the back. Missing 4 1st teamers, Gareth Evans made his second appearance in his favoured position of right wing, and Glenn Evans joined Gareth Jones; the two teamed together for the first time in the centre of the park. Alan Matthias helped out the side up front, and Simon Blay switched over to last season's position of right back for the first time this season; the rest of the field remaining the same.

On the 17th minute Alan Matthias missed the first chance to score, hitting it wide in front of goal. Minutes Later Bracknell Rovers fought back, forcing James Robinson to make a great save to keep the Manics level.

5 minutes later and Matthias had a second chance hitting the ball wide again with a more ambitious shot at goal.

Manics continued to pressure and soon after won a corner at the Rover end. Gareth Evans stepped up to take, and after a scrappy clearance, the ball eventually fell to Mark Robertson who's shot blasted over the bar.

On the 25th minute, Manics won their second corner as they began to play some good football down the flanks. Alan Matthias won the second corner for the Manics. Taking it short, Robertson's clever tight footwork managed to dribble the ball into the box, before laying off to Gavin Baker who's shot was off target.

Minutes later the first goal for was scored for the Manics. Mark Robertson grabbed the assist, and Alan Matthias' shot was on target and well out of the keepers reach to make it 1-0.

On the 30th minute Manics played a piece of great football, stringing together a series of passes, before Gareth Evans crossed the ball into Mark Robertson who showed some great composure in front of goal to score his first and make it 2-0.

Manics continued to attack Rovers, and the 36th minute Gavin Baker's cross wasn't cleanly met by Gareth Evans' head, failing to make full contact, and the ball skimmed off his head and out for a goal kick.

2 minutes later Gareth Evans created another chance for Simon Blay to push on and score. Simon Blay's shot was first saved, then Blay hit the post before collecting it again (third time lucky) in the 6 yard box to tuck it away and make it 3-0.

Minutes later, Alan Matthias was over on the right wing, but still able to cross the ball into Robertson who tried to lob the keeper. The keeper tipped it over the bar and out for a corner. Gavin Baker delivered the ball into the box, and Jason Graaff was unlucky not to score with his header just over the bar.

2 more goals would follow before the break. Mark Robertson scored his second and then his hatrick a minute later when Glenn Evans headed the ball through for Mark Robertson to score the 5th goal.

In the second half, Manics scored early on. This time Gareth Jones scored with his head low into the corner out of the keepers reach from a Gavin Baker corner.

On the 52nd minute, Manics played more great football down the right wing, Gareth Evans dribbled through a packed defence before striking on the half volley. The keeper got a touch and his shot rebounded off the post.

Minutes later and Gareth Jones assisted another goal for Mark Robertson to score his fourth goal.

Again, Gareth Evans found himself in another excellent position to score when Glenn Evans slotted the ball through the gap for him, but his shot went just wide of goal.

With 20 minutes left on the clock, Manics again played some good football. Simon Blay pushed up to create more havoc on the Rovers back line. The ball was taken off him by Gareth Evans who's shot was tipped around the post for a corner.

Minutes later, Rovers were awarded a free kick at the edge of the box after a foul by Glenn Evans. James Robinson kept the ball out though, punching it high over the bar.

With 18 minutes on the clock, Manics made their first change. Adrian Turnell came on to replace Simon Blay in a straight swap. Turnell gave away a clumsy free kick within minutes, and Robinson organised his goal, telling Gareth Evans to leave the front post. Rovers shot at goal, and Robinson couldn't keep the ball out, palming it into his own side netting to make it 7-1.

All was not lost though, almost straight away Mark Robertson scored a beautiful 35 yard lob, much the same as Gary Sarney's earlier this season. Another contender for goal of the season.

Rovers were getting frustrated as Manics dominated in the centre of midfield. Soon Rovers central midfield player was booked for kicking out at skipper Glenn Evans, then a minute later the same Rovers player received his second yellow card and then the red for slicing down Robertson about 30 yards into the Rovers half. Robertson then took the free kick which the keeper flapped at and then dropped, Gavin Baker was close at hand to follow up the mistake and head it home to make it 9-1.

Just before the end of the match Mark Gates had a golden opportunity to add to the score sheet, but failed to make any decent contact with the ball, slicing it wide and out for a goal kick.

Scorers: Robertson (5) Matthias (1) Blay (1) Jones (1) Baker (1).
Assists: Robertson (2) Ga.Evans (2) Gl.Evans (1) Baker (1) Jones (1).

The Manics Man of the Match went to new signing Jason Graaff and the Referee's player of the match went to Glenn Evans.

Thanks to the fans who came to watch.

 Final Result: Bracknell Manics 9 Bracknell Rovers 1

 Man of the Match
   "Go On You Manics!"
Jason Graaff  

The Golden Farmer - Sponsoring BMFCAdvantage Copying Services Ltd - Sponsoring BMFC
Official Sponsors for Bracknell Manics FC