Sunday 12th March 2006
back to news section

Tell someone about this news

Warm Welcome Fires Up Marais

Manics are still trying to settle to have a consistent squad; this week four more 1st team players were missing, and again the new signings would have their chance to fight for a place in the squad. Brent Marais made his second appearance into the side, and new signings Simon Graves and Marcel Hollenstein were called up for the first time.

From the kick off, Manics appeared to be a bit casual, but soon it appeared Manics would begin to start creating some chances on goal. After 10 minutes, Jason Graaf tried his luck with a header from a Gavin Baker corner. Fortunatley for the Manor the ball was saved off the line, but then out for a second corner. Gavin Baker took the corner - the ball fell to Glenn Evans who shot with his left foot over the bar.

A minute later though, and James Robinson made a great save in a 1-on-1 situation, to keep the score level.

0n the 16th minute, Manics made it 1-0. Another Gavin Baker corner was this time met by Gareth Jones who headed on target. Just as the ball was about to cross the line, Brent Marais managed to get a touch and skillfully sidefooted the ball into the net (thief!).

Minutes later, Manics were under pressure as Manor were'nt going to give in easy. Robinson was undecided whether to come to meet a long ball from the Manor, luckliy though, Manor shot wide. But they didnt stop there, Manor had really picked up on their game, and pressing forward, got a well deserved equaliser. Manics struggled to get the ball out and away from danger and losing the ball outside their box, The Manor crossed the early ball and headed past Robinson to make it 1-1. Some arguing followed, Manic players upset all over the pitch and pointing the finger for what was really a harmless mistake...

A minute later and all was forgotten. The Manics kissed and made up when Glenn Evans scored from another Gavin Baker corner. Evans was quick to make it to the ball and head it into the net with a powerful header, leaving the Manor keeper no chance.

Manics confidence began to grow, and soon after Bakers low cross found Marais, who held up the ball, turned his man and shot into the bottom corner to score his second.

Before the end of the first half, Aaron Goddard, back into the side after a back injury, won a free kick from 30 yards. Ryan Warman stepped up to take, but his Roberto Carlos style free kick was, unluky for the Manics off target.

In the second half, as expected, Manor came out fighting. Manics continued the high tempo from the first half, Baker coming close 5 minutes in, but his shot was just wide.

Then Simon Blay pushing up on a good attack, saw his shot over the bar. Manics were really beginning to settle into their game, and starting to play some good fooball, closing down the Manor giving them no time on the ball.

5 minutes later, some nice football led to a Gareth Evans long ball to Marais whos volley attempt was deflected by the defender, but no corner was given.

With 20 minutes of the second half gone, Baker wanted to test the keeper with a long range effort, but the Manor keeper did well holding it close to his chest, and not spilling the ball.

It was on the 71st minute when Brent Marais scored for his hatrick. Again, Marais turned his defender and shot into the bottom corner inside the box, Gareth Evans with the assist to make it 4-1.

A minute later and Robinson made another great save to keep the Manics with a healthy lead. Manor caught the Manics back four sleeping and in a 1-on-1, charged down at Robinson, who made the save.

2 minutes later and Warman shot after gaining possession in the Manor half. His shot was just wide though, and out for a goal kick.

With 15 minutes remaining, Marais scored with his head to make it 5-1. Gavin Baker with the cross, from the right wing this time. Manics make changes with 15 minutes remaining. Aaron Goddard was given time to cool down after a booking, and Brent Marais was given the rest of the match off for his hard work. Marcel Hollenstein and Simon Graves both made their debut up front as Glenn Evans was brought back into midfield.

Within minute Hollenstien had a chance to score, but his first shot was off target.

Manics made it 6-1 shortly after. A counter attack from a Manor corner saw Baker win a 50/50 outside the Manics box, and dribbling the ball upfield released Hollenstein, who passed back to Baker, unselfishly playing the ball square to Glenn Evans in acres of space. Evans kept his composure and calmly slotted the ball into the net to make it 5-1.

Then, just before the break, debutant and super sub, Simon Graves scores from a Blay low cross to the near post sliding in to make it 7-1.

Scorers: Marais (4) Gl. Evans (2) Graves (1).
Assists: Baker (4) Jones (1) Ga. Evans (1) Blay (1).

The Manics Man of the Match went to Gavin Baker and the Referee's player of the match went to Brent Marais.

Thanks to the fans who came to watch.

 Final Result: Bracknell Manics 7 Manor & Winkfield 1

 Man of the Match
   "Another rousing performance from the Manics. Lets keep this going for
the rest of season
Gavin Baker  

The Golden Farmer - Sponsoring BMFCAdvantage Copying Services Ltd - Sponsoring BMFC
Official Sponsors for Bracknell Manics FC