Sunday 2nd April 2006
back to news section

Tell someone about this news

Patsalides Left Fuming At Blay Injury Blow

A depleted Manics side went out against a physical Wokingham Utd side this weekend. Missing regular keeper, and others such as Jones, Goddard, and Robertson all injured, it was a rather quiet changing room before the game for Bracknell Manics.

Needless to say, Manics still wanted to win, and Marcel Hollenstein found himself starting for the first time this season in the place of Gareth Evans who was moved to play in goal.

And Manics started brightly; within minutes, Manics had their first chance with Gavin Bakers shot being saved, then Gary Sarney's shot saved.

But within 10 minutes of play, Wokingham Utd made a clumsy, late challenge on Simon Blay, who after lay in agony, clutching his ankle. Luckily not broken, Blay was able to be carried of the pitch, but to make matters worse Wokingham Utd began to make jokes and jeer at the poor Manics player as he was carried off, to which one of the players on the sidelines received a red card.

Appalled, Manics made the change, Glenn Evans dropped to right back and Simon Graves came off the bench to fill centre midfield. Manics decided to try to continue to try to play football, and created another chance when Baker crossed the ball to the back post, but it was just out of reach of Hollenstein - had he made contact; it could quite easily have been a goal.

But when Hollenstein was pushed down in the box, and the penalty was awarded, Barry O'Connell stepped up to drill the penalty home and take the Manics ahead 1-0 on the 40th minute.

Still bad challenges followed from Wokingham Utd, when Manics won a free kick just before the half, Ryan Warman stepped up to take. The ball was struck sweetly, through the wall and the Wokingham Utd keeper did extremely well to tip the ball over the bar.

Unfortunately though, in the second half, more injuries became evident. Brent Marais needed attention for his hamstring problem at the break, as too did Gary Sarney with a dead leg after a challenge in the first half. Not only that, but Jason Graaff was another Manic in trouble, previously twisting his knee.

Manics fatigue showed early on, as they conceded early through after the Utd forward had enough time to turn and shoot at goal at close range.

15 minutes later, Manics conceded their second. This time the referee waved play on to an offside decision and Manics could only stand and watch a 2-on-1 with Gareth Evans before Wokingham Utd made it 2-1. Manics were in total disarray, as minutes later Hollenstein was on the end of a nasty challenge that left him injured and playing for the remainder of the game.

With frustrations growing on the part of Manics, Graves was booked for a sliding challenge before the end of the game, but with next weeks game around the corner, missing Simon Blay and other key players, it could be a rocky game against Rides next weekend...

Scorers: O'Connell (1) [PEN].
Assists: Hollenstein (1).

The Manics Man of the Match went to Ryan Warman & Gavin Baker and the Referee's player of the match went to Glenn Evans.

Thanks to the fans who came to watch.

 Final Result: Bracknell Manics 1 Wokingham United 2

 Man of the Match
   "injuries, weak "
Ryan Warman  
   "A disappointing performance and time to get our feet back on the ground and win these remaining league games"
Gavin Baker  

The Golden Farmer - Sponsoring BMFCAdvantage Copying Services Ltd - Sponsoring BMFC
Official Sponsors for Bracknell Manics FC